Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Na Na Bleh Blo Mama

I didn't ever dare type it, afraid of jinxing it, but Amelia was sleeping through the night. WAS. For the past week or so, she's been waking up again at least once. I am so useless in the early morning hours. It takes me a long time to shake the fog of whatever dream I was having and accept the fact that I'm going to be up for awhile. Sometimes I just lay down in Amelia's room and try patting her head through the slats of her crib to see if I can somehow sleep and pat at the same time without her starting to scream again.

Last night, I stumbled into her room at about 3:15 and dazedly started to rub her back to quiet her down. I had been having some sort of Aesopian fable of a dream that involved spice mills, cranberries, and Thanksgiving turkey and I'm pretty sure that at one point I told Amelia, "Shhh, no crying or the turkey will think we've stolen the cinnamon!" Seriously. I really said that.

She tried crawling around in her crib for awhile, turning completely around at one point and telling me very seriously, "Na Na. Bleh-blo Mama!" I am not fully fluent in Amelia-speak, especially not in the wee hours. I understood the "Na Na" to be "night night" and the Mama part, but could not for the life of me figure out what "Bleh Blo" meant. I tried giving her the stuffed lamb, thinking maybe she was trying to say Baa Baa, but when she stood up in her crib and expressed her rage with a screaming tap dance, I knew that wasn't right.

She finally went to sleep after about an hour, without the bleh blo. I only realized this morning that she probably wanted her pillow moved to the other end of the crib. An hour of sleep lost due to a mistranslation.

I really hope this phase is short lived. I really wanted to find out what happened with that turkey and the cinnamon.