Monday, October 09, 2006

Sleep deprived

It's been about two years since I've had a completely uninterrupted night's sleep. Amelia made it her mission almost from conception to get me up at least once during the night, either to puke or pee. After she was born, she'd wake up herself, and me, every hour and a half. She gradually improved, but for the past several months she'd still wake up at 11:30, 2:30, 5:30 and then finally at 7:30.

I've been working really hard to get her to sleep all night in her crib for the past couple of weeks. She's slowly cutting down to waking up just once during the night, usually around 4:30 (when she wants to get up and play and talk about uh oh and ball and Nanna and Shasta and Dada). Saturday was THE NIGHT. I heard her cry at about 1:30 and got out of bed ready to try to get her back to sleep before she wound herself up, but then, miracle of miracles, she stopped crying. She slept through the night! Finally!

Fantastic, right? I must have gotten such a good night's sleep! Wrong. Fiona woke up screaming for the first time in a year. Not once but twice.

God hates me.