Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Call me crazy

I know it's been a while. Sorry. Summertime, man.

I'm leaving for a "vacation" tomorrow that is becoming more ambitious in scope by the minute. I'm flying back to the land of my forefathers with the girls. By myself. No Andre. Then I'm driving the girls 400 miles. By myself. No Andre. I'll be gone for eight days and in that span of time I have visits scheduled with my cousin and his wife, my aunt and uncle, both my grandmothers, my dad, his cousin, three friends from college, and an online friend. Oh and I'll have to put on a bathing suit for two of those meetings. A bathing suit. Shoot me now.

The last time I flew to visit my grandmother, it was a month after 9/11 and we were in high security mode too. Fiona was two months old and I was chosen to get patted down at the gate and since I had Fiona in a sling, she got patted down too. Maybe they sensed her earliest feelings about The Man.

Now we're flying to grandma's under an orange alert. I can't be sure, but I think that this might indicate that my grandmother is in some way connected to al-Qaeda. You really have to watch the old Norwegians. They're tricky like that.

Anyhow, please cross your fingers for me that I survive 800 miles roundtrip in the car and seven total hours in the plane with the girls. By myself. No Andre.