Friday, March 31, 2006

Safe!

The pictures from the Great TV Computer Fry of 2006 are safe. Everything seems to be in working order except the motherboard which Andre had to replace. I have come to discover during the GTCF of 2006 that I really know nothing about computers despite being married to a computer geek and having been raised by a computer geek. As Andre was putting the computer back together and found the pictures were OK, I said with great relief, "Phew! So the memory didn't fry along with the motherboard?" He looked at me like I was a complete moron and said, "Uh, yeah, but the pictures aren't stored in the memory, they're stored on the hard drive." I shot back with a witty, "So why do they call it memory then, huh? Huh?" And he disdainfully began to try to explain what each part of a computer does. My eyes instantly glazed over, as they apparently have been doing ever since my dad started giving me the same lecture 20-odd years ago.

Truth be told, as long as I can talk to my computer friends with the magic box attached to the TV, I really don't want to know how it works. This body can only handle so much geekery. I will play Star Wars trivial pursuit, I will not retain the difference between memory and hard drive. I can't help it. Don't lecture me. And stop sighing with exasperation, you know you're doing it.