Sunday, January 01, 2006

Twelve Days of Christmas

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! I was going to do a clever 12 days of Christmas song with all of our holiday happenings in it concluding with "One child puking on the couch" but then I couldn't really think of anything else to go in the song.

Fiona got a call from Santa Claus two days before Christmas because she was being a complete four year old with the whining and the crying and the stink face and the hitting. She was trembling (with fear? with happiness that Santa called her? with awe?) as she talked to him and I think it did help somewhat as she got through the next couple of days without as much drama.

Santa rewarded her on Christmas with a toy kitchen. She likes it, I think. She better. That thing took Andre almost four hours to put together. We probably could have just given her candy and she would have been just as happy. And now we've set the bar for next year. Damn.

Tamara and I went to go get manicures one day with my salon gift card. It wasn't nearly as luxurious as I had imagined it and I'm glad I didn't spend "real" money on it. There were no serving boys clad only in loincloths who fanned us gently with palm fronds as our maidservents placed petit fours in our mouths while our nails dried. I did get a two minute hand massage which is more luxury than I've had for awhile so I guess that's something.

For my mother's birthday Tamara, Fiona, and I took her to tea at the Queen Mary. Andre grudgingly stayed home with Amelia but I doubt he would have enjoyed taking turns with the rest of us wearing the official Queen Mary tiara. Just talking about it right now kind of makes me want to eat some more tea sandwiches. Mmmmm....tea sandwiches.

Andre and I threw a huge New Year's Eve party complete with seventeen kinds of appetizers and wine tastings. It lasted until three a.m. and only ended when the cops came. It's hard to look our neighbors in the eyes today after what some of our party goers were doing on the front lawn. (Actually we ate some delicious steaks and then I cleaned the kitchen and we watched television until I fell asleep in the rocking chair before midnight. New Year's Rockin' Eve indeed!)

And today, to start the New Year right, Amelia stood up by herself. Not pulled up, STOOD. UP. Ay yi yi.

Happy New Year!