Friday, January 27, 2006

15 years ago, before the flying cars...

I'm not coming up with anything exciting to post about from the homefront. Fiona did tell us that her career choices for the future are (picture her counting these off on her fingers): "Number one, doctor. Number two, rocket ship driver. Number three, grave-taker-carer-of-er." I thought it was pretty cute, but not quite enough to make a whole entry out of.

Anyhow, I was digging through some of the old letters I sent to my best friend when I first went off to college. (I have the letters because I intended on scanning them all from both of us and putting them in a scrapbook, so she gave them to me and the closest I got to completing this project was to put them in my sock drawer where they've been for the past five years.) I digress. One of the letters details how my freshman year boyfriend wants to take a break and think about our relationship and how quickly it's moving. Tragically, I don't take this as any sort of warning sign that he's just not that into me, but that's not the funny part. The amusing part is my description of email in the year 1991:

I told him if we weren't going to see each other, he would at least have to leave letters for me on the computer (it's really cool, I'll explain in a bit) and he said OK. I walked him to the stairs and kissed him good night [blather, blather about midterms, my Russian class, and my roommate] But anyhow let me tell you about the computers. You go to this computer store and get yourself this handy-dandy password - very hush, hush secretive type stuff and with that you can get into this system called UNIX. You can leave letters for other people in this system and they can come by and get it on any other computer on campus. It's really quite cool. Also you can talk to other people by just typing stuff in while they're logged in to the system. I know I sould like this really big computer geek and you're expecting me to turn into a blind, hunchbacked [name of biggest geek in our high school] type, but really, everyone here uses it and it's quite fun. OK, now that you think I'm a dork, let's move on to some other subject!

Wouldn't Past Tavia be surprised by Future Tavia? Poor little Past Tavia, who lived before www dot anything and didn't know the term "e-mail." Little did she know that she'd eventually marry someone she met on "the computers."