Friday, December 09, 2005

Bright lights, big city

My ex-boss still hates me.

Fiona had a movie date scheduled with Gramcie today and I took the opportunity of being minus one child to attempt a trip downtown to finish up a little shopping. I realized just how small my little world has become when I saw that they had completely ripped down a building and started installing sidewalks along a stretch of street I used to drive every single day. The whole street is different and I hadn't even know about it until today. And this was still in our neighborhood!

I got downtown and parked in my old parking structure. I like to affectionately call it "the car mangler" since it completely destroyed my last car. (I like to place full responsibility on the parking garage and none on myself.) The wall took a big scrape off my bumper and one of those stupid pillars scraped the passenger side rear door all within the space of three months.

I called up to make sure my ex-coworkers were there before I headed up to my ex-work and my ex-boss overheard the phone conversation. Before I even entered the building she bolted from her desk and didn't come back for an hour and a half. My co-worker said she didn't say a word about where she was going, just got up and left.

That makes me sad, actually. I was putting up our Christmas ornaments last weekend and came across the ones she had given me. A little nesting doll Santa she brought back from Russia and a tall jingly Santa she gave to me for our annual ornament exchange, both of which made me smile. I missed her a little bit when I saw them. I thought about sending her an email, but didn't.

I was a little nervous about seeing her since we hadn't spoken since I quit, but figured four months would be enough time to cool down. Apparently not. Was quitting my job to stay home with my baby that awful? I worked for her for almost three years, can she not just get over it already and at least feign a little interest for a fifteen minute visit? Maybe she had an urgent, not-on-her-calendar meeting that she suddenly remembered when she heard my name and it had nothing to do with me. Whatever, it still makes me sad.

I got back to a mangle-free Mr. Roboto, put my sleepy baby in the back and headed home. Maybe next time.