Monday, November 14, 2005

Character flaw

I am always right. Always. Even when I'm not technically correct, in my mind I am RIGHT. It really bothers me when people disagree with me because it means that they somehow are challenging the essential rightness of my being. They're not just disagreeing with a particular opinion or thought, they are denying the fact that I am RIGHT. How dare they?

For example, while eating at our company holiday lunch last year we were watching clips of holiday movies playing on screens in the room. As Bing Crosby came on singing "White Christmas," my boss said, "Oh, Holiday Inn! I love this movie." "Actually," I blurted out (that's something else I do a lot, use the word "actually;" I'm sure it's very annoying), "that's White Christmas." My boss looked at me like I was being silly and said, "Oh no, I own this movie, it's Holiday Inn." Who cares, right? Who cares if my ridiculous boss ridiculously thinks that Bing Crosby sings the title song to White Christmas in a totally different movie? Is it going to change the world for me to correct her? Will little children stop dying of hunger in far-off lands? No. But I was RIGHT! I couldn't let it go and after bickering back and forth about it for a while plus some under-my-breath muttering, I had to go ask the AV guy for the movie case and bring it back to the table and show everyone that I was RIGHT.

I'm no dummy of course, I know that people find this behavior irritating. I've tried to appear a little more socially apt by just gritting my teeth and saying something like, "Huh! I've never seen Holiday Inn, I guess I'll have to rent it!" or even, "Wow, I had no idea Bing Crosby was in two Christmas themed movies." Did you note how I carefully avoided saying that the other person was right (because I am right) while trying to make it look like I agree with them? Yeah, that's because I'm a freak.

Once or twice, I've even been able to choke out the words, "No, you're right. I was mistaken." But only with Andre, because I'm married to him. It makes men feel good if you let them be right once in a while. (And because he'll totally go look it up on the internet to rub it in if I'm not actually, technically, 100% correct.)

So that's my big character flaw. I'm working on it, really I am. I know it's OK to be wrong sometimes. (For other people.)