Monday, October 31, 2005

Sometimes I just want to be a trucker.

My sister just helped my mom move up here from Seattle by driving the UHaul for her. Normally I would think that was a nightmare job. I don't even LIKE driving, let alone for hours on end. But then she told me she got to listen to books on tape uninterrupted and chain smoke with no one to judge her cigarette consumption. That sounded SO wonderful for some reason. Me, all by myself, smoking like a chimney* and listening to a book for hours on end. With no small children crawling all over me and trying to hold on to my ankles while I walk and following me around like a small accessory dog because they've heard too many Halloween stories lately and are now afraid of the bathroom closet and every other closet for that matter and will they please just leave me alone for two damn seconds?

I think I need some alone time.

*For the record, I haven't smoked regularly in 5 years, but it still sounds sooooo good.