Friday, September 23, 2005

Fiona and Mr. Roboto

Am I an evil mother? I've totally convinced Fiona that the minivan is a sentient being. Whenever we're just about to get to the car, I make the alarm beep a bunch of times and say, "Oh look! Mr. Roboto is saying hello to us!" When we get to the door Fiona says, "Domo arigato, open Roboto," and I make the door slide open through the magic of the remote power door. She calls a car trip "riding in Mr. Roboto's belly." When she wants to go out to the garage to visit him I tell her that he's sleeping and she says, "He's resting before our next trip, right?"

We saw another Sienna at preschool the other day, an XLE that had two power doors and Fiona saw it opening the driver's door and said, "That Mr. Roboto knows how to open both its doors! It will have to teach our Mr. Roboto how to do that."

My only concern is that if she catches on that the remote control is the real "magic" in Mr. Roboto she may start to call us out on things like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. I'm not ready to lose Santa Claus power yet. Santa Claus keeps her in line when all else fails. All I have to do is say, "I'm going to call Santa Claus right this minute if you don't knock it off, missy!" She's already started to ask me if Mickey Mouse at Disneyland is really just a person with a costume on. This is way too early to lose the magic.