Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mystery solved

You'd think it's be relatively hard to lose an entire pair of shoes. Maybe you misplace one, but have the other. Maybe they're tucked out of sight under the bed. Not lost, just trying to be a little sneaky. I once misplaced a pair of shoes for quite a long time and you know where they were? In the closet where they were supposed to be. Yeah, I don't generally put things away very well so it was quite a surprise to find them properly sitting on their little shoe rack.

Fiona only has a couple of pairs of shoes for summer, a pair of pink sandals and a pair of Ked-like navy blue shoes. She's taken to wearing dresses this summer, most of which are red or are navy blue with red accents. I really don't feel like I'm completely crazily obsessive compulsive to want her wear shoes that match what she's wearing. I mean, pink sandals with a red flowered dress? The horror. So of course, just in time for the Fourth of July, Fiona lost her navy blue shoes. I mean LOST them. Every bed was checked, every closet, under the couch, in the toybox, behind the toybox, in the mountain of dirty clothes, everywhere. Nothing. Fiona swore up and down that she had no idea where they could possibly be. I was horrified when Andre suggested that, if we were going to actually get to the 4th of July parade on time, she might have to wear her pink shoes. On the Fourth of July. With her dress with the red stars on it. Pink. Shoes. Andre said, "Well the stars kind of look pink to me anyhow." Liar. I finally let her wear them and she went out of the house looking like that and I had to avert my eyes and all the properly patriotic people who weren't wearing pink. shoes. saw my daughter wearing pink sandals with a dress with red stars. I still shudder thinking about it.

After several mornings of looking, I gave up. I let her wear her red dress up Dorothy shoes out of the house instead of the horrid pink sandals. I decided that the blue shoes were genuinely lost, most likely hiding with our house keys that have been missing for 9 months. I went out and bought some new shoes. Not nearly as cute as the summer shoe selection is running very thin. So today, I was looking for a place to store all the pictures we've been cutting out to make collages with and I pilfered an old lunch box from Fiona's room. Yes, you've guessed it. Fiona had packed the blue shoes neatly away in the lunch box and then placed it carefully back on the shelf. The moral of this story? 1) Never buy pink sandals because you just might end up having to wear them on the fourth of July, and 2) Never underestimate the power of a preschooler to lose their shoes, and 3) Never let your preschooler wear their Dorothy shoes out of the house because even though you might find the blue shoes again, she's going to choose the Dorothy shoes every single day until they don't fit anymore anyhow. And wear them on the wrong feet.