Friday, July 08, 2005

30 days

Anyone watching this show? If you haven't seen it, it was created by Morgan Spurlock (Supersize Me) and is playing on FX. The basic concept is taking people out of their comfort zone and having them live in someone else's shoes for 30 days. Some of the shows include: living on minimum wage, a conservative heterosexual living with a gay man in the Castro, and a Christian living as a Muslim. The experience is supposed to challenge your beliefs and open you up to new ways of thinking. Watch it, it's pretty interesting.

I was trying to figure out what my 30 day experience would be. I think of myself as being pretty open to other people's values and beliefs. Except the Republicans. Oops! I guess that's what it would be, living for 30 days as a gun-toting, right wing Republican who listens to Rush Limbaugh every day. Except that I grew up with my Republican father so I feel like I've already conducted that experiment. Maybe instead it would be living for 30 days as a person who really liked to clean their house. Oh, I know! A family of Morman polygamists. That's something I don't get at all.

The upcoming episode would also be a challenge for me too. Two people lived completely off the grid for 30 days. No cars, no electricity, no TV, no internet (!), no water, completely reusing their waste, etc. I can't even imagine living without Tivo, let alone TV. And the internet! I don't remember a time without the internet. And long, hot showers, I just can't do without a shower.

What would your 30 day challenge be?