Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Every commuter's worst nightmare. You see the lady with the preschooler (who's already acting antsy) at the bus stop and you pray they're taking another bus. "Please please please, let them be going to the University and not downtown. Please not my bus. Please not my bus." Then they get on your bus. The second she and the kid sit down, the kid starts whining. By the time you're at the stoplight and the entire rest of the bus is silent, the kid is wailing and the lady is hissing at the kid to shut up already! "Oh no," you think, "this ride is going to SUCK! What is wrong with that kid? Why is that horrible mother being so mean? Why me? Why this bus?" It's a full blown tantrum and it's not going to get any better. You see the lady getting madder and madder at the kid and she finally makes the decision to get off the bus before you hit the freeway. "Phew!" you think, " Sucky morning commute averted. I hope to god she's not on our bus again tomorrow." Well, my friend, I have bad news for you. That lady is me. That kid is Fiona. And yes, we WILL be on your bus again tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that. Infinity.