Saturday, June 05, 2004

It was beautiful this week. Sunny every day - highs just below 80. Gorgeous. Made me want to walk out of my windowless office and never come back. Today, of course, now that it's the weekend and we had planned on doing outdoor things it will be: "Mostly cloudy with morning showers. Some afternoon sunbreaks with a chance of showers or thunderstorms. Increasing rain tonight." Sigh.

The other night, I was sitting in the family room catching up on a little Joan of Arcadia that no one will watch with me. Andre was upstairs giving Fiona a bath. The crows outside were driving me absolutely insane with their cawing so I tried to figure out what they were mad about and saw they were divebombing something crawling around in one of our neighbor's trees. It was really high in the tree, had a long tail (too long for a cat), and was sitting on a branch picking at something higher in the trees with its front paws. It looked way too skinny to be a raccoon and raccoon's don't climb that high in the trees, right? So, I decided it was a monkey. It really looked like a monkey with its long tail and monkey-like use of its front paws. I called Andre and Fiona out to look with me and they could barely see it in the tree and were unconvinced of its monkey status. I was just about to call animal control about the escaped monkey, when it came a little farther down the tree. It was indeed a raccoon. Who knew raccoons were such good tree climbers? It was probably stealing eggs from a nest. Stupid raccoon. I wish you were a monkey.